This WebPage has been visited times since 3/24/98
There are times when a segment must be nested within another segment. The nesting rules
- No segment may have itself nested immediately under it.
- The repeat factor for a segment at nest level 0 specifies the maximum number of times a
segment may appear in the entire message. For segments with a nesting level of more than
0, the repeat factor specifies the maximum number of times the segment may appear under
its parent segment.
- If a nested segment is omitted, all segments nested under it must also be omitted.
- When changing levels, the nesting level may only increase by 1. It may decrease by any
- When a nested segment is listed as mandatory, it must appear at least once under its
parent segment if, and only if, the parent segment appears in the message.
Traditionally, a nested segment might look as follows
Segment 1 Nest level 0
Segment 2 Nest Level 1
End of Segment
End of Message